Relaxing at home isn’t complete without scented candles. The right fragrance could refresh your mind or soothe your senses. By making your own scented candles, you can experiment with the fragrance, add in colouring as you please, and even offer it as a personalised gift to your friends and family!
Here’s how to make DIY scented candles.
Recipe by: Martha Stewart
- Vegetable wax
- Candle fragrance oils
- Double boiler
- Glass candle container (e.g. small mason jars)
- Candle wick, preset in clip
How to Make:
- Measure the following portions of candle ingredients by weight: 2.4 percent beeswax, 59.6 percent stearin, 28 percent vegetable wax, and 10 percent fragrance.
- Melt waxes and fragrance together in a double boiler; pour a small amount into a glass candle container. Set organic cotton candle wick in wax at bottom of a container, then fill a container the rest of the way with melted wax. Adjust and straighten candle wick gently as the wax cools.
- Add colours to your candle by putting in 1/8-inch of non-toxic crayon (colour of your choice) per 450-gram wax in the double boiler.
- Make sure the glass containers are clean and dry before you use them.